4 December 2017 – CULS sportsmen & sportswomen of the year 2017 awarded by the Rector
This year’s best CULS sportsman was (as in 2016) Jakub Vadlejch, currently studying at the CULS Faculty of Economics and Management. Jakub, representing the Czech Republic in men’s javelin throwing, won a silver medal at the IAAS World Championships in London, with a throw of 89.72 m. Later this year he won the prestigious Diamond League in javelin throw. Jakub is one of the top athletes in the world in his discipline.
The second laureate to receive an award from the Rector was Radek Juška, currently student at CULS Faculty of Forestry and Wood Sciences. This year he won the gold medal in broad jumping at the Universiade in Taipeh, and was a finalist at the IAAS World Championships in London, jumping the distance of 831 cm, which is a new Czech record in broad jumping.
The third laureates, awarded by the Rector as sportswomen of the year, were Lenka Antošová and Kristýna Fleissnerová, both students at CULS Faculty of Agrobiology, Food and Natural Resources. Ms Antošová and Ms Fleissnerová won the gold medal at the European Rowing Championships in Račice (Czech Republic) in the category Women Double Sculls.
Five laureates for best CULS sportsmen/sportswomen of the year received a prize from CULS Rector, Prof. Jiří Balík, in front of hundreds of students and professors, assembled for the occasion in the CULS Aula Maxima. Ten laureates received a financial award for their sporting performances.
The performances of 27 nominated CULS students – sportsmen & sportswomen – were evaluated by a panel of experts from CULS Academia, as well as by external experts. The commission was presided by Dr. Dušan Vavrla, director of CULS Department of Sports and Physical Education, who commended the outstanding performances of our students, who became world champions, European champions and won medals at prestigious sporting events in 2017. At the end of the award giving ceremony, the Czech folk & blues singer Ivan Hlas performed with his band in the packed CULS Aula Maxima.
CULS sportsmen/sportswomen of the year – 2017:
- Mr. Vadlejch Jakub (Javelin throw) – Faculty of Economics and Management
- Mr. Radek Juška (Broad jumping) – Faculty of Forestry and Wood Sciences
- Ms Antošová Lenka (Rowing) & Ms Fleissnerová Kristýna (Rowing) –
Faculty of Agrobiology, Food and Natural Resources
- Ms Davidová Markéta (Biathlon) – Faculty of Agrobiology, Food and Natural Resources 5. Ms Satková Martina (Canoeing) – Faculty of Engineering 6. Mr Menšík David (Stackline, highline) – Faculty of Forestry and Wood Sciences 7. Ms Köppelová Lucie (Karate) – Faculty of Economics and Management 8. Mr Ječmínek Jakub (Fencing) – Faculty of Economics and Management
- Ms Manhartová Lucie (Ice Hockey) – Faculty of Agrobiology, Food and Natural Resources
- Ms Matoušková Lenka (Athletics, disc throwing, shot put) – Faculty of Economics and Management
Special prize for sportswoman with disabilities 2017
Ms Matoušková Lenka (Athletics, disc throwing, shot put) – Faculty of Economics and Management