Dear colleagues, dear students,
the situation that currently affects the life of most of us, including the way of studying, raises a number of questions you ask. We are sharing with you the most frequently asked questions that can already be answered. We put a great effort in providing you with all available and up to date information. It is obvious that there are still many unanswered and unresolved issues, but the current dynamically evolving situation does not allow us to definitively address these issues, even if we would like to do so ourselves. Please be assured that as soon as we are able to provide answers to other topics, we will inform you immediately.
We believe that we can all manage this difficult situation thanks to mutual support and patience.
With cordial greetings and wishes of peaceful days,
Assoc. Prof. Ing. Jiří Remeš
Vice-Rector for Education
Organization of the remaining part of the academic year 2019/2020 in the field of pedagogy
We would like to inform you on how the teaching and follow-up activities (exams and creditations, state final examinations and defence of final theses), which must take place by the end of the academic year, will continue.
Due to the ongoing State of Emergency and the necessary measures in place for the COVID-19 pandemic, some changes have to be made to the academic year schedule. It is clear to us that the current situation increases the tension and stress to which you are exposed, so we aim to ensure that you - the students - are able to successfully complete the academic year.
Measures to ensure teaching and follow-up activities in the academic year 2019/2020:
Completion of teaching
- For all undergraduate and graduate students, the studies shall be completed in the summer semester in online forms at planned terms (10th and 12th week of the semester), i.e. without extension of teaching to examination period of the semester.
a) Students not concluding their study by final state examination in academic year 2019/2020
- For students continuing their study in academic year 2020/2021 the examination period will be organized according to the schedule (in the beginning of May - end of June). For passing exams and credits, the holiday period (until the beginning of September) can be used to an increased extent. This is already allowed by the Study and Examination Rules of CZU Prague;
- we will very likely still be in the State of Emergency at the beginning of the examination period, so online testing methods should be used.
- b) Students concluding their study in academic year 2019/2020
- For the ending years (3rd year bachelor and 2nd year master studies) the examination period will start in accordance with the schedule, but will be extended until the necessary time before the final state examinations. Final state examinations will be moved to later dates (see below). The new exam period will be set separately by individual faculties and they will inform their students about these changes without delay.
State Final Examination
- Due to the latest information and estimates of the Ministry of Education on the availability of school premises for students at the earliest in the second half of May, the dates of the final state examinations will be postponed. Faculties are autonomous in this and will set new deadlines according to their needs (in the expected range from late June to late September). Faculties may adequately extend the deadline for submitting (uploading) electronic forms of final theses. The obligation to submit two copies of the final theses in a hardcover book binding is postponed by the Rector's Decision until the date of the final state examination.
- As soon as the faculty management sets these new dates for the final state examinations, they will inform their students immediately.
- Should a State of Emergency continue even at the time of the new final state examination, it will be possible to organize them in a special regime that minimizes the risk for students and committee members.
- In the event that international students cannot arrive in the Czech Republic by the time of final state examination due to ongoing restrictive measures, the organization of final state examinations for these students will be managed in the new academic year, which begins in October.
- Fees for longer studies will not be levied on those students who exceed the state-paid period (standard period of study + 1 year) in Czech taught programmes due to state and university measures taken in connection with the pandemic and term of final state examination.
Frequently asked questions about study
Is the education definitely finished?
Teaching as a whole is not terminated, only direct (face to face) teaching where personal contact of students and teachers could occur. This teaching has been replaced by alternative methods used in distance learning, such as e-learning, online lectures, video broadcasts, etc. Students are required to follow the instructions of teachers who continue to teach. The semester continues according to the original schedule.
How long will the regular teaching be cancelled?
How long this state of emergency lasts is not clear. The announced restrictions apply until further notice and may change further as the situation develops. All changes will be announced to the students in time. Therefore, students need to follow relevant information sources. At this point in view of the development of the spread of the disease, we can confirm that contactless education will take place throughout the summer semester.
Is the library open?
The library building as well as the faculty buildings are closed. This also suspends the loan services and the collection of book reservations. All student loans and reservations will be extended for the duration of the regular teaching cancellation. Also, no penalties will be charged at this time.
May I come to a teacher for consultation?
Individual consultations are not abolished in general, but should be conducted in another form, e.g. through electronic forms of communication.
Will the exam period be organized - will the exams take place?
We want the semester to be properly completed and then to have an exam period in accordance with the academic year schedule. Teachers are therefore currently preparing to carry out exams with all available adequate methods. It is very likely that mass contact forms of examinations (written tests in classrooms, etc.) will not be possible during the examination period.
What about final state examinations?
The deadlines set in the academic year schedule are still valid. However, some partial changes have already been approved: the Rector's decision now allows students to bring printed and tied final thesis to the defence itself, some faculties have extended the deadline for uploading the electronic form of the final thesis into the University Information System.
Currently, the most suitable approach to the organization and realization of the final state examinations is being sought, including eventual postponement of the dates of their holding. Students will be informed in advance of any changes.
Will the application deadline be extended?
Since applications for study at CZU are submitted only electronically, there is no reason to extend the deadlines in regards with the emergency regime and the general quarantine. However, the individual faculties determine the conditions themselves and may extend the deadlines according to their needs. Information will always be published in a timely manner.
Will entrance (admission) examinations be held?
The dates of the entrance (admission) examinations have not changed yet. Applicants will be informed in a timely manner if any change of dates shall occur.